Monday 27 February 2012

REVIEW: The Lion King (1994)


I won't lie to you, I struggled with this game. I thought it might be easier being that I'm circa fifteen years older from when I first tried playing this game, and it didn't make the experience any simpler.

The Lion King is a side scrolling platform game, obviously based on the movie, where you play through various important parts of the plot both as a young and adult Simba. I'm struggling to see through the nostalgia tint my eyes have gained, but on the whole it plays well and is challenging but not cheap.

The backgrounds and sprites were actually animated by Disney studios, and it really shows. The graphics have aged well and are pleasant and fluid, The music is also a 16bit version on Hans Zimmer's original score, and is a nice addition.

I found it a very challenging game - mostly because I was playing on an emulator and my hands have been trained with a pad; but also, it's very easy to die. The stampede section requires lightning quick timing which I just don't possess and I invariably take damage every single time. However, that's not a bad thing, I would be complaining a lot more if it were far too easy, and makes the credit scroll all the more rewarding and satisfying. It was nice to revisit, but I tend to save this game and play it only once in a while, else I get stuck on a part and end up throwing my keyboard across the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment