Wednesday 29 February 2012

REVIEW: Devil May Cry 2 (2003)


Everyone who likes Devil May Cry thinks the second one is the bad apple of the lot, but I tend to disagree. I'm most likely biased as this is the first DMC game I completed of the series, and I found nothing noticeably *bad* with it.

Don't get me wrong: it's not my favourite game of all time, but it's not terrible. The voice acting is wooden, the combat sluggish and predictable, and the storyline sub par; but who am I to disagree when you can fly and dash around like a complete lunatic? I've always liked the idea of combing the use of a sword and guns in a video game, and allows for a bit more freedom and creativity when killing enemies, but you don't get the sweet bonuses for using weapons, and only get a big surge of points when using your sword; there's not much worse than seeing your Showtime! fade faster than summertime. Sure, you can stall it at whatever rank you are and maybe it moves up if you pull off a tricky somersault-whilst-firing-guns-downwards-all-the-time-whilst-not-getting-hit. Unfortunately, spamming the sword attack seems to get the awards up faster for me.

Maybe I haven't played the other DMC games as much as this, but I've always had a soft spot and a long afternoon for this entry to the series. Dante is a bit of an asshole, and antiheroes are always more fun than the pious, noble type anyway. The new entry to the series, some red headed woman whom I can never remember the name of - L something, perhaps - isn't fun to play as all she does in the FMVs is whine about how useless she is, and that's outrageously unappealing for a character. Emos are no fun to play! Not to mention her devil trigger looks completely retarded and just puts me off playing her full stop.

However, it's not a broken game, and it's fun to stick in every 6 months or so to have a merry old fanny about on.

No comments:

Post a Comment